Friday, December 5, 2008

... そして私達は東京に戻った
(... and then we returned to Tokyo)

So I promised an e-mail from nice relaxing Honolulu. Sorry to dissapoint... it seems I overestimated blogging's appeal compared to sleeping, playing on the beach, swimming in the ocean, and just generally goofing around in the fantastic weather we had last week. We did not spend much time indoors.

We started off the week by taking in the Honolulu zoo on Monday morning. The facilities are a bit old, but the animals seemed to be well cared for. Here is Robert showing off his new Crocs in front of the Sloth. The Sloth is what looks more-or-less like a shaggy branch almost directly above Robert's head:



The next day we did the Honolulu Aquarium. This was not a particularly large aquarium, but it was very good; lots of large salt-water tanks, colorful reef fish and live coral. I don't have any pictures, but it was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

Here is the obligatory beach picture. This is the interior of the sand castle I built for Robert. There were turrets, but Robert played Godzilla, smashing them down just about as quickly as I could put them up! The little boy on our the right in the picture was building a sand-castle near us, but it kept getting swept away. After a while he asked me if he could help with ours.

Who am I to say no?



My folks arrived mid-week and we shared a Thanksgiving buffet:



I purchased a ukulele while Robert played with some other traditional Hawaiian musical instruments:



Then it was off to the WSU vs. University of Hawaii football game. The Cougs did not put in a good performance, and it rained off an on for the whole game, so I don't have any pictures. But in closing, here we are, goofing off at the airport waiting for our flight back:

No comments: