Monday, March 16, 2009

A Departure From Your Regularly Scheduled Programming

While in Nagano a couple of weeks ago, we missed the bus from the monkey onsen back to town by seconds, and had to wait for an hour to catch the next one. Eddie and Meredith both have 32gb iPod touches, and Eddie helped me pass the time by showing me what I've been missing in popular music over the last few years... specifically this, my new anthem:

White and Nerdy.

as well as "Don't Download This Song" with a brilliant animated video by Bill Plympton:

Don't Download This Song.

And, since I don't have access to much in the way of American media I've found myself listening to a number of podcasts. Here are some of my favorites:

The best science podcast on the web, the CBC's Quirks and Quarks with Bob McDonald.

The best personal finance podcast: Marketplace Money.

Sparkletack is a podcast dedicated to informing listeners about the colorful history of San Francisco and the bay area. The format of this podcast has recently changed from an in-depth look at a particular person or topic, to a somewhat less interesting weekly overview of the upcoming week's notable historical happenings, but there is an extensive archive of stories that I am still working my way through.

Best humorous podcast, the venerable Car Talk.

I also look forward to new audio articles from The Economist each weekend.

Please use the comments section to tell me about your favorite podcasts or blogs I ought to be reading. Thanks!

2 comments:

gerrycammy said...

That was great! I never would have seen that had it not been for this post!

What a great theme in "Don't download this song"


Weird Al rocks!

David Kirkbride said...

Thanks Gerry -- it's nice to know that at least somebody's reading this, and yes, I agree.